The American Civil War



  Loftin    Setzer    Goble    Johnson

Links for
This Page

The Aderholdts

The Beattys

The Finks

The Fishers

The Gobles

The Hamiltons

The Johnsons

The Leslies

The Loftins

The McCorkles

The Millers

The Setzers

The Sherrills

The Witherspoons


Civil War










History of
NC Counties




& High School



































































































































War Between the States


12 Apt 1861 - 23 Jun 1865


The American Civil War was the most difficult time in our nations history.  At times it was neighbor against neighbor and brother against brother.  The issues of states rights and slavery separated the Union of states.  It had its effect on our families, too, costing the lives of a number of our ancestors.



The Civil War began April 12, 1861 and lasted for four years, until April 9, 1865.  To truly understand this page, you have to understand the family names and relationships.


Catawba County Civil War Reenactment


Family Names Listed Alphabetically

The Aderholdts

Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment Died
William H. Aderhold     Company F, 32 Regiment Infantry  

Cooking wild rabbit over an open fire at Murray's Mill Harvest Festival

Photo Courtesty of Curtis Loftin

The Beattys
William Alexander Loftin's 2nd wife was Amanda Wanetta Beatty, daughter of Tyler Beatty
Calvin Sherrill Beatty, Cephus Beatty, Franklin Beatty, Tyler Beatty and William Wilburn were brothers
and sons of Charles Manson Beatty (b.1795)
Calvin Sherrill Beatty (as well as his brothers Cephus and Wilburn) enlisted in the Confederate Army on 14 Aug 1862 at the age of 30 and served in the 18th Regiment, Company A, NC Troops.  "The Catawba Soldier of the Civil War" (published 1911 in Hickory, NC) states that Calvin was wounded 17 Sep 1863 at Sharpsburd.  Records on indicate that he mustered out on 23 Feb 1865 (the same date as his brother Cephus Beatty).  The Civil War, however, did not end until 09 Apr 1865, so there is no indication why he might have mustered out early.  Calvin died 15 Jun 1901 in Catawba County, NC, at the age of 69.
Cephus Beatty, age 25, enlisted on 14 Aug 1862 (along with his brothers Calvin and Wilburn) as part of the 18th Regiment, Company A, NC Troops.  He was captured 12 May 1864 (according to THE CATAWBA SOLDIER).  Civil War records indicate that he died 23 Feb 1865 in the POW Camp in Elmira NY.  Cause of Death is not known.  Cephus was buried in the Woodlawn National Cemetery, 1825 Davis Street, Elmira, NY 14901.
Franklin Beatty served in the Confederate Infantry during the Civil War but there is no current evident of his enlistment date.  Civil War records indicate that he was captured in Catawba County, NC, and was taken to the Military Prison in Louisville, Kentucky.  That same record says that he was serving in Company F, 38th Regiment Ala (Alabama) Infantry. There is correctly no evidence why he was in the Alabama Infantry instead of the North Carolina Infantry.  Franklin died 14 Jan 1884 in Catawba County, NC, at the age of 62.

John Beatty, Jr. was killed while scouting for the Confederate Army.  (Not really sure which John Beatty Jr. this is since there were several records with this name).


Tyler Beatty, age 21, enlisted 06 Jun 1861 as part of Company F, 23rd Regiment, NC Troops.  He was taken prisoner at Gettysburg, PA, 01 Jul 1863, and was confined at Fort Deleware, DE, until transferred to Point Lookout, MD, Oct 15-18, 1863.  Tyler was paroled at Point Lookout and transferred to Cox's Wharf, James River, VA, where he was received February 14-15, 1865 for exchange.  He died after the war on 17 Dec 1907 at the age of 67.

William Wilburn Beatty (Wilburn), age 27, enlisted 14 Aug 1862 (along with his brothers Calvin and Cephus) as part of Company A, 18th Regiment.  He died 10 Jun 1904 in Foard County, Texas, at the age of 69.
Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment Mustered Out
Calvin Sherrill Beatty 14 Aug 1862 30 Company A, 18th Regiment 23 Feb 1865
Cephus Beatty 14 Aug 1862 25 Company A, 18th Regiment Died 23 Feb 1865
Elmira POW Camp, NY
Franklin Beatty     Company F, 38th Regiment, Ala
John Beatty, Jr.     Company G, 34th Regiment, NC Infantry  
Tyler Beatty 06 Jun 1861 21 Company F, 23rd Regiment  
William Wilburn Beatty 14 Aug 1862 27 Company A, 18th Regiment  
Headstones for Calvin, Franklin, Tyler and Wilburn Beatty
Calvin Sherrill Beatty was buried in the New Covenant Methodist Church Cemetery in Gaston County, NC
Franklin Beatty was buried in the McCorkle Family Cemetery in Catawba County, NC
Tyler Beatty was buried in the Rehobeth Methodist Church, Terrell, Catawba County, NC
Wilburn Beatty was buried in the Vivian Cemetery, Foard County, TX
Civil War Cannon for "Military Timeline" at Fort Dobbs, Statesville, NC
Photo Courtesy of Curtis Loftin
During the Civil War, Missouri was a border state that sent men, armies, generals, and supplies to both opposing sides, had its star on both Confederate and Union flags, had separate governments representing each side, and endured a neighbor-against-neighbor intrastate war within the larger national war.  By the end of the Civil War Missouri had supplied nearly 110,000 troops to the Union and about 40,000 troops for the Confederate Army.
Lebanon Beatty (brother to Calvin Sherrill Beatty, Cephus Beatty, Franklin Beatty, Tyler Beatty and William Wilburn Beatty - son to Charles Manson Beatty) was living in Bollinger County, Missouri, at the time of the Civil War. 1863 to 1865 Records indicate that Lebanon was "subject to do military duty in the Third Congressional District of the State of Missouri" suggesting that he was drafted into the Union Army at that time.  Since no additional Civil War documents have been found for Lebanon and since the state was "split", he could have served on either side.
Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment Mustered Out
Lebanon Beatty   36    
The Finks

Daniel & Elizabeth Fink had four sons, all of who served the Confederacy during the Civil War.  These young men would have been Great-Uncles to Beulah Vernesta "Nessie" Johnson Goble (wife of Martin Luther Goble).

Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment Died
Jacob H. Fink 18 Jun 1861 21 Company A, 33rd Infantry Regiment  
David A. Fink 18 Jun 1861 28 Company B, 2nd Calvary Regiment  
Moses D. Fink 27 Jan 1862 24 Company 2nd B, 42nd Infantry Regiment  
Daniel M. Fink 26 Feb 1862 28 Company A, 33rd Infantry Regiment 2 Jun 1864
Lynchburg, VA
Moses Fink 29 Jul 1861 30 Company D, 28th Infantry Regiment 01 Jul 1862
Richmond, VA
Moses Fink 17 Dec 1862 39 Company H, 8th Infantry Regiment 03 Mar 1863
Wilmington, NC
Typhoid Fever
Jacob H. Fink and David Alexander Fink both enlisted on 18 Jun 1861 in Iredell County, NC, but ended up in two different Companies.  Jacob was wounded at the Battle of Chancellorsville.  He was mustered out on 09 Apr 1865 at Appomattox Court House, VA.
Brothers Moses D. Fink and Daniel M. Fink also served in the Confederate army.  Daniel M. Fink was killed on 02 Jun 1864 in Lynchburg, VA.

The 33rd Infantry Regiment completed its organization at the old fair grounds at Raleigh, North Carolina, in September, 1861. The men were recruited in the counties of Iredell, Edgecombe, Cabarrus, Wilkes, Gates, Hyde, Cumberland, Forsyth, and Greene. After fighting at New Bern , the unit moved to Virginia and saw action at Hanover Court House . It served under Generals Branch and Lane and participated in the campaigns of the Army of Northern Virginia from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor . Later it took its place in the Petersburg trenches and was involved in the Appomattox operations. This regiment sustained 75 casualties during the Seven Days' Battles, 36 at Cedar Mountain, 8 at Second Manassas , and 41 at Fredericksburg . It lost forty-two percent of the 480 engaged at Chancellorsville and twenty percent of the 368 at Gettysburg. The unit reported 4 killed and 19 wounded at Spotsylvania and 5 killed, 29 wounded, and 4 missing at Jericho Mills. On April 9, 1865, it surrendered 11 officer s and 108 men.


Moses Fink was still living in 1898.  Iredell County, NC, held a reunion for the Confederate veterans of that county in August 1898.  There were 110 Iredell County Confederate veterans who attended - including Moses.  Captain P.C. Carlton gave a short address that made the old vets feel welcomed.  The choir of the Presbyterian Church sang an anthem and then Dr. W. A. Wood, the chaplain of the 4th N.C.R. led the men in prayer.  Captain N. L. Shaw of the 17th Regiment, N.C. Infantry, made an eloquent little talk, followed by Dr. W. A. Wood.  "Every word that Dr. Wood spoke was laden with deep and sincere love that he felt towards the old Confederate veterans.  His knowledge of the Confederate soldiers was gained on the battlefields, in the tents and hospitals, among the living and the dead.  He knew what they suffered, what they endured on the marches to the camps and on the battlefields.  He shared their hopes, their fears, their joys and their pain; he was a full partner in their disappointment and was hand in hand he went with many of them to the border land and the spirit of the departed could look back from the other side of the river and see him administering the last rites to the cold clay."  The meeting then adjourned to the grand jury room where a most appetizing dinner had been spread by the Soldier’s Aid Society.  After full justice had been done to the good things on the table, the old vets turned their attention to the two wagon loads of watermelon and the feast was renewed.

There are two additional Moses Finks who enlisted in the Confederate army in North Carolina, but I've not found their connection to our family.  Our Moses Fink survived - the other two died during the Civil War.
The Fishers
Brothers to Frances Elizabeth Fisher Loftin

James C. Fisher, age 26, enlisted 06 Jun 1861 as part of Company F, 23rd Regiment.  He died 02 Apr 1862/63 at Fredericksburg.


Thomas Fisher, age 21, enlisted with Company I, Regiment 49, the same group as James Franklin Loftin.  "The Catawba Soldier" says that Thomas "was as meek as a lamb.  He was a magnificent soldier.  He served under physical difficulties, being blind after dark."  Thomas was captured at Fort Steadman and carried to Point Lookout.  Eventually released, he came home and died after the war.


William Fisher was more than likely with Company I, Regiment 49, also.  "The Catawba Soldier" says he "was with us but a little while.  He was captured at Ft. Steadman, carried as a prisoner to Point Lookout."  He eventually came home and was still living in 1911 when "The Catawba Soldier" was published.

Joel H. Fisher
"The Catawba Soldier"
p. 148 - 149
(Joel Fisher lived in Catawba County - the son of Benjamin & Sarah Fisher.  I'm not aware of the relationship he might have with Reuben Fisher, our ancestor, or his children.  The story, however, does give details about the 23rd Regiment.)

Joel H. Fisher enlisted in Company F, 23rd Regiment, 01 Sep 1861.  Our first winter was spent near Fairfax Court House.  During the first winter, all was quick stout marching.  We were sent down to Yorktown to check the enemy who had moved around to that point by water.  We soon began to fall back toward Richmond to avoid the flank movement at Williamsburg.  Here we had our first taste of battle in a skirmish.  The Battle of Seven Pines was too terrifying to describe.  After the battle of Seven Pines, we went into camp near Richmond, and my being a Dutchman, baking bread one day, Dr. Hicks, our Surgeon, passed by where I was; says he, "Fisher, I want just such a man to take car of my sick, will you serve?"  I was delighted to be with the sick and cook for them.  I remained with the medical department till 1864, last of the year, when I went back to ranks and remained with my company till the close of the war.


When in the medical department, at the battle of Cold Harbor, I held the leg of John Arndt while it was amputated; at the Gettysburg battle, I held for amputation (Eli) Anderson Lofton's; and at the battle of Fisher's Hill, George Cobbs.

Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment
James C. Fisher 06 Jun 1861 26 Company F, 23rd Regiment
Thomas Fisher   21 Company I, Regiment 49
William Fisher     Company I, Regiment 49
Joel H. Fisher 01 Sep 1861   Company F, 23rd Regiment
Catawba Station Depot
Stoneman's Raiders burned the Station during the Civil War, but it was quickly rebuilt


The Gobles

Corban Goble (son of John & Sally Drum Goble; grandson of Corban & Elizabeth Robinson Goble) was born in Alexander County, NC, 22 Oct 1839.  He enlisted on 29 May 1861 in Mecklenberg County at the age of 22.  Corban died at Camp Argyle on 27 Oct 1861 of typhoid fever and gangrene of the bowels.

Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment Died
Corban Goble 29 May 1861 22   27 Oct 1861

The Civil War Memorial in Newton, North Carolina, Erected 15 Aug 1907




The Hamiltons


Beulah Vernesta "Nessie" Johnson (Mrs. Martin Luther Goble) connects the Gobles and Johnsons to the Sherrill and Hamilton families.  Nessie's Great-Grandfather was Alfred Sherrill and her Great-Great Grandmother was Rachel Hamilton.
Many of our Hamilton "kin" originated in Lincoln/Catawba County, North Carolina, but over time some moved to the northern states of Indiana, Ohio and Illinois.
Name Branch Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment Died
George Washington Hamilton Union 13 Feb 1862 18 53rd Infantry Regiment 15 May 1862

Understanding these family relationships, will help you to better understand
the  following Hamilton Family Letters about the Civil War.

Ninain Beall Hamilton (b.19 Feb 1789 in Lincoln County, NC, d. 31 Jan 1882 in Washington County, IN)
  1st Wife: Mary Margaret Wilfong (b. 14 Oct 1800, d. 15 May 1853)  
  2nd Wife: Prisciall Newlon (b. Abt 1809 and was 20 years younger than Ninian, Sr.)  
Youngest Children of Ninian Beall Hamilton Sr mentioned in the following letters:
  Ninian Beall Hamilton, Jr. (b. 14 Mar 1835) married Rebecca "Bine" Lovina Cannady.
  David Wilfong Hamilton (b. 05 Oct 1838) married Achsa Ann Martin.
  Candace Shuford Hamilton (b. 23 Jul 1841) married Isaac Hiestand Martin.
  George Washington Hamilton (b. 28 Jan 1844)

Letter from Ninian Beall Hamilton, Jr. to his father, Hinian Beall Hamilton

Letter Dated: September 8, 1861
From: Ninian Beall Hamilton, Jr. (age 26)
Living In: Hartsville, Indiana
To: Ninian Beall Hamilton (b. 1789 - age 7) (Father)
Living In: Pekin P. O., Washington Co., Indiana

The Beginning of the Civil War


Hartsville, Indiana

September 8, 1861

Dear Father:

         These are trying times to the Christian and to the Patriot alike. The distracted condition of our once happy people and prosperous land has cast a gloom over all. But I have an abiding confidence in the goodness of God that He will in His own way purge the land and free it of some of the cause of turmoil and strife and put a check upon corrupt and ambitious aspirants. Let rebellion be put down, peace restored and honest men fill our offices of trust and profit and then as a nation we will be sure to prosper.

     The work of sustaining the Government goes on bravely here. Our county has sent out and is sending a great many volunteers, and the work at present indicates that the demand for men and money however great will be promptly met. From a little town near here (Milford) fourteen men of families volunteered besides almost all the young men. Several married men have gone from here - some old men - and more talk of going and will go yet if needed. I have been much exercised in mind about this thing myself. It seems hard that traitors should be allowed to destroy a Government founded upon principles of Freedom, and Liberty by the fathers of the Revolution and the interposition of Divine Providence. To leave a good wife and darling boy would be a sacrifice, I would freely make however great and hard it would be, if other circumstances did not forbid. But as it is I cannot consistently do that which seems a great duty. I must content myself to do whatever else I can to aid those that do go. But if the worst comes and the question is to be decided whether traitors and tyrants shall rule with iron hand - or the boon of liberty be handed down to my posterity, and it is necessary that my service - aye my life - be required, I'll go.    ...

Your son,

N. B. Hamilton


 [To read complete letter (# 14), Click Here]


[Ninain, Jr.'s wife, Levina (Bine), included a short letter to Ninian, Sr.]

Dear Father:

         I have peculiar feeling upon the subjects sometimes. Not that I would fear of suffering from want were he to go - Not that I feel indignant at people for turning out to put down this ungodly rebellion - Not that I feel less interested in our country welfare than I should feel - but to think of yielding the life of him that is dearest to more than all others on earth - to merciless traitors is trying to the extreme. Were every able-bodied man in the free Sates actually needed I know not what my decision would be - to have him go and go with him perhaps.

     My prayers is that God may relieve us of this dreadful calamity. Wipe out the sin from the nation that has caused it (namely slavery) and restore peace and prosperity in a twofold ratio and that this nation may yet be one of sincere piety and peace.

        Write soon.

Yours affectionately.



Letter from George's brother, Ninian Jr., to their father, Ninian Sr.


Letter Dated: May 22, 1862

From: Ninian Beall Hamilton, Jr. (age 27)

Living In: Hartsville, Indiana

To: Ninian Beall Hamilton (b. 1789 - age 73) (Father)

Living In: Pekin P. O., Washington Co., Indiana


Hartsville, Indiana

May 22, 1862

Dear Father: 

      Some time since we received your letter. You stated you wished me to send you word when ever I heard anything of George (George Washington Hamilton, b. 1/28/1854, d. 5/15/1862; RHR).

    I have been watching the papers closely for the 53rd and in yesterdays I see G. W. Hamilton, Wm. Packwood, N. Ross (wonder if it ain't N. Boss) and others belonging to the 53rd are in the list of sick and wounded. They reached St. Louis last Saturday (5/17/1862; RHR) by the Steamboat boat, Imperial. I suppose George is sick as he was not in the battle of Pittsburg Landing as I can learn of.

     I do not know how bad he is - there are many among them that are not dangerous at all and of course some are. I shall write to St. Louis today and see if I can get any word soon, and indeed I may telegraph there - if I do I shall not close this till I get word.

     How we would like to have George here and take care of him, while he is sick if I could I would go and bring him home. Do you hear from the boys any? George wrote me a letter and I answered it and was fixing to go to Indianapolis to see him when I got your letter stating that he was in Tenn.

     Write soon -

Your son -

N. B. Hamilton


 [To read complete letter (# 16), Click Here]


Letter from George's brother, David., to their father, Ninian Sr.


Letter Dated: May 20, 1861

From: David Wilfong Hamilton (age 22)

Living In: Spring Hill, Illinois

To: Ninian B. Hamilton (b. 1789) (Father) (age 72)

Living In: Indiana


Spring Hill, Illinois

May 20, 1861

Dear Father:

     We are experiencing one of those hard financial crashes that almost amounts to mination (the copyist finds no such word in the dictionary - mina means an ancient money of varying value and minacious means menacing or threatening - take your pick. MS) on account of southern stocks. So many of our free banks were secured by southern stocks and the credit failing has reduced the number to a small number. Exchange has been all winter from 7 to 10 percent prem. (premium). Now we can't get exchange at all hardly. Hence the low prices of everything. I have corn to sell but don't take Illinois currency for it.

You talk about mustering every Saturday. Well it naturally makes my blood boil to think that your tottering frame must beat the tread once more to sound the march in defense of your homes, your children and your hearthstones. These are perilous times and men are hurrying off to the seat of war. John and I both enlisted in the Geneseo Rifle Company but the company was not accepted.

We have a home guard at Spring Hill drilling every Saturday. Our county (Whiteside) furnished two companies, now in Camp Dement at Dixon, in Lee County. They are the crack companies of the regiment. It is thought the regiment will be removed to Rock Island where there is to be an arsenal. I see in Kentucky a large majority went for the "Union" and Gov. Magoffin modified his tone.

     Give my best love to all the family and accept my sincere love yourself.


D. W. Hamilton


 [To read complete letter (# 7), Click Here]


Letter from David WIlfong Hamilton. to his father, Hinian Beall Hamilton, Sr.


Letter Dated: December 21, 1861

From: David Wilfong Hamilton (age 23)

Living In: Spring Hill, Illinois

To: Ninian Beall Hamilton  (b. 1789) (Father) (age 72)

Living In: Indiana


Spring Hill, Illinois

December 21, 1861

Dear Father:

      I am still on the land and living. I don't get any news from any of you and for all I might know you are all swallowed up in the whirlpool of secession. That these are pretty tight times I will not doubt but surely I ought to hear from my own family. Candace (Candace Shuford Hamilton) and Ike (Isaac Martin) have never written a letter to me since I left. Is there a cankering animosity corroding the life springs of family love or even respect. I hope and pray God that I may not live and die with a hatred from a brother or sister. I know there is something not right. I have looked and written and expected but naught has come. You, father, are old but the rest are young and they might write once or twice a year. It's reasonable.

     I have a desk with a lock. There are desks enough to seat about 70 scholars. I have 34 scholars now and will have 50 in all. I have them so classed off that they move according to military tactics. The school keeps very good order. We have singing once or twice a day. It is not like it was at Providence. They were so contemptably green there they did not know what was good. I have been teaching a month and have not taken a switch in the house yet and have a better school that I ever went to at home by a long ways.
So much for living among the yankees. George, come out and see us some time soon as you can. Ann often wishes you would come and see us.


D. W. H.


 [To read complete letter (# 8), Click Here]


Letter from David WIlfong Hamilton. to his youngest brother, George

Letter Dated: February 2, 1862
From: Ann & David Wilfong Hamilton (age 23)
& Achsa "Ann" Martin Hamilton (age 24)
Living In: Spring Hill, Illinois
To: George Wahington Hamilton (Brother-in-Law & Brother; age 18)
Living In: Indiana

Spring Hill, Illinois

February 2, 1862

Well George,     

     Times are said to be pretty hard just now as it is tax paying time - corn 10 cents per bushel, pork $2.00 per cwt., beef $2.25 gross, wheat 60 cents - so it goes, but people dress as well and have a much to eat as they ever did in spite of war. There was a great deal of sugar cane molasses made in our state and some of it is as clear and fair as the best southern syrup I ever ate. Any of it is good enough for use and I notice that some farmers in the south part of our state are going to raise coffee and cotton - if they succeed it will be a great source of wealth.


Your brother and sister,

Will & Anna


 [To read complete letter (# 9), Click Here]


Remarks: The above letter was written to George Washington Hamilton about three weeks before he entered service (2/13/1862) in the Civil War. Three months later George was dead - having died from effects of measles. MS


Letter from David Wilfong Hamilton. to his younger sister, Candace


Letter Dated: June 13, 1862

From: David Wilfong Hamilton (age 23)

Living In: Portland, Illinois

To: Isaac & Candace Hamilton Martin (Brother-in-Law & Sister) (age 29& 20)

Living In: Indiana


Portland, Illinois

June 13, (Friday) 1862

Dear Bro. and Sister:

     At home again tired with the days labor. O dear, teaching is so perplexing. But, that does not weigh so heavily as the news your letter brought me yesterday. It struck me with extreme anguish to hear of his (George Washington Hamilton, b.1/28/1844 - d.5/15/1860; RHR) dying far from home, and the tender words of a kind father, which he I infered, so much longed for during his illness. I weep while writing and can only find relief in out- gushing tears - I weep because he was young, far from home and friends, and I fear without any hope of immortality beyond the grave. God only knows, I don't. And I weep because of the grief of father. His comforts were few at most and to have a son far away, languishing and dying, is more than he can bear. Last Saturday I was at Geneseo - saw the last letter he wrote to Dove (Delilah Ann Hamilton, b.11/20/1828 - d.1/30/1901; RHR), the last any of us got. I got his address last Sunday (June 8, 1862) and wrote him a letter. But one thing is left us, we have the comfort that he died in defense of his liberty. This war is dire and thousands of hearts among the living are wrung by it's consequences. But the instigators will reap their reward.

     My dear sister comfort our dear father. I long to see him. I hope George's body can be brought home and interred by mother. You could find out by writing to the captain of his company where he was buried, or if you write to the hospital surgeon at St. Louis, they have the names, the regiment, the company, and the residence of each soldier. If I had the means I would go myself and get it.


D. W. Hamilton

 [To read complete letter (# 10), Click Here]
The Johnsons

Beulah Vernesta "Nessie" Johnson (Mrs. Martin Luther Goble) was the granddaughter of Pinkney C. Johnson, listed below.
Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment Died
Pinkney C. Johnson 01 Aug 1862 35 Company C, 48th Infantry Regiment 01 Apr 1865
Pinkney C. Johnson enlisted in the Civil War on 01 Aug 1862, in Company C, 48th Infantry Regiment and was promoted to full Corporal during his service.  He was wounded in the hand at Fredericksburg, VA on 13 Dec 1862 and returned to duty prior to 01 Mar 1863.  Reported present in March - June 1863, March - April 1864, and Sept - Oct 1864.  Pinkney did not desert General Lee when so many others did.  He was admitted to a federal hospital on 01 Apr 1865 with a gunshot wound to the right leg that he had received at Appomattox.  His right leg had to be amputated.  He died in a federal hospital at Point of Rocks, VA on 03 Apr 1865 from his wounds.  He never saw his son Henry Pinkney who was born 12 Apr 1865 - less than two weeks after his death.

Civil War hats & gear at Murray's Mill Civil War Reenactment

Photo Courtesy of Curtis Loftin

The Leslies

Nancy Caroline Leslie/Lasley married John Henry "Pinkney" Johnson.  Their daughter Beulah Vernesta Johnson married Martin Luther Goble - connecting the Leslie, Johnson and Goble families.  Nancy's brother James O. Leslie served in the Confederate army.
Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment Died
James O. Leslie 14 May 1862
@ Iredell Co, NC
24 Company C, 40th Infantry Regiment  
William P. Leslie 31 Mar 1862
@ Iredell Co, NC
25 Company B, 46th Infantry Regiment
Mustered out on 14 Oct 1863
Bristor Station, VA
James O. Leslie enlisted on 14 May 1862 in Iredell County, NC, in Company C, 40th Infantry Regiment.  He was 24 years old at the time and left his wife Lillian at home in order to serve.

Civil War handguns at Murray's Mill Civil War Reenactment

Photo Courtesy of Curtis Loftin


The Loftins




Thomas Loftin had one son, James Franklin Loftin, by his first marriage to Sally Lavinia Beatty.  After Viney's death on 30 May 1829, Thomas married Margaret Fisher about 1830 and had five more sons, William A. Loftin, David Loftin, Jackson Loftin, Eli Anderson Loftin and William Pinkney Loftin.


When Catawba County's Company F, 23rd Regiment was formed on 06 Jun 1861, many Catawba County sons signed up - including Thomas' sons, William A. Loftin, W. Pinkney and Eli Anderson Loftin.


James Franklin Loftin had married Frances Elizabeth Fisher on 13 Aug 1847 and did not enter the war immediately, but several of his wife's brothers did - including James C. Fisher, Thomas Fisher and William Fisher.  These sons of Reuben Fisher enlisted on 06 Jun 1861.


James Franklin Loftin had a 1st cousin, Tyler Beatty, who also enlisted on 06 Jun 1861.  Tyler was the son of Charles Manson Beatty.  Charles was the brother of Sally Lavinia Beatty, and son of William Able Beatty and Isabella McCorkle.


Matthew Locke McCorkle, 1/2 first cousin of James Franklin Loftin, was commissioned as leader of the group.  Matthew was the grandson of Francis Marion McCorkle Sr.



Four of Thomas Loftin's sons served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War
Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment
William A. Loftin 06 Jun 1861 28 Company F, 23rd Regiment
William Pinkney Loftin 06 Jun 1861 19 Company F, 23rd Regiment
Eli Anderson Loftin 06 Jun 1861 16 Company F, 23rd Regiment
James Franklin Loftin 03 Mar 1862 36 Company I, 49th Regiment
Brothers and Cousins from the same family frequently enlisted on the same date.

Most records have the last name of these four sons of Thomas Loftin listed as "LOFTON".  Even the Civil War monument in Newton has their names spelled "LOFTON".


William A. Loftin, age 28, enlisted 06 Jun 1861 as part of Company F, 23rd Regiment.  He died four months later on 20 Oct 1861 from disease.


William Pinkney Loftin, age 19, enlisted 06 June 1861 and served as a Private as part of Company F, 23rd Regiment.  The 1850 Catawba County Census lists Pinkney's age as 6, making his birth year 1844.  He may have been as young as 17 when he enlisted.  According to "The Catawba Soldier", Pinkney died exactly three months later on 06 Sep 1861 at Fairfax Station from disease. Captain Hilton of the 23rd Regiment gives Pinkney's death as 15 Sep 1861 of disease near Manassas, and states that back pay was due his heirs.  Pinkney owed $7.25 for clothing and the final settlement to Pinkney's mother, Margaret Fisher Loftin, was made 12 Nov 1864 for $54.91.  Monthly pay for a soldier a the time was $11. 


Eli Anderson Loftin, age 19, enlisted 06 Jun 1861 as part of Company F, 23rd Regiment.  "The Catawba Soldier" states that Eli was born in Lincoln County in 1845 making his age 16.  The 1850 Census lists Eli's age as 9, indicating he would have been born in 1941 - meaning he would have been 19.  His enlistment form lists his age as 19.  Eli was shot in the knee at Gettysburg 01 Jul 1863 and lost his left leg, which was cut off half-way between the knee and hip.  He lay on the battlefield several days and nights, not being moved until after the battles of Gettysburg were all over.  The leg was removed by a surgeon on the field.  His was the only limb lost by Company F.  Eli was still living in 1911 when "The Catawba Soldier" was published.  He was transferred to General Hospital, Baltimore, Maryland, on 03 Nov 1863, then moved to the Point Lookout Hospital in Maryland on 12 Jan 1864.  He was exchanged and admitted to Chimborazo Hospital in Richmond, VA, on 04 May 1864 and finally back in NC at the hospital in Salisbury by November/December 1864.


James Franklin Loftin enlisted and entered the Civil War as part of the Confederacy on 03 Mar 1862 as a Private at the age of 35/36.  He served with the 49th Reg., Company I of NC troops and was described in the Catawba Soldier, p. 306, as “a fine, cheerful and kindly disposed soldier.”  It has been said by the family that when James Franklin went off to war, his son William Alexander was just tall enough to harness the horse to the plow.  James Franklin was listed as present with the group of troops from May thru December 1863, as well as March thru June 1864.  According to his granddaughter, Cordie Loftin Wilson, as he was preparing to leave home after his last visit, he remarked that he would never return and did not want Elizabeth to remarry. 


Civil War Reenactment at Murray's Mill, Catawba, NC

Photo Courtesy of Curtis Loftin


To see a video of the Confederate Troops drilling, CLICK HERE



James Franklin Loftin served at Drewry’s Bluff, located in northeastern Chesterfield County, Virginia, as part of Company I, 49th Regiment.  Drewry's Bluff was the site of Confederate Fort Darling during the American Civil War and was named for a local landowner, Confederate Captain Augustus H. Drewry.

A True History of Company I, 49th Regiment NC Troops
in the Great Civil War
by W. A. Day
Newton, NC 1893

The wounded Yankees were suffering for water and while we were attending to their wants, we found one of our Company, Franklin Loftin who was mortally wounded and left at the breast-works when we fell back that morning.  He was lying back in the field under a board shelter where the enemy had placed him.  He said that they treated him very kind.  He was shot through the bowels.


James Franklin Loftin was killed in action near Drewry’s Bluff, VA., on 16 May 1864.  The headstone of Franklin's wife, Elizabeth, at Center Methodist Church in Catawba County gives his death date as 16 May 1864.  Confederate Records list his death date as 16 Jul 1864 and states that he was "killed in action" at Drewry's Bluff.  Since the actual date of the battle was 16 May 1864, it seems more logical that his death date was indeed 16 May 1864.

Confederate Company Muster Roll, Company I, Regiment 49, for James Franklin Loftin
Confederate Graves at Drewry's Bluff
There is no evidence of where James Franklin Loftin was buried
Catawba County War Memorial in Newton, North Carolina
Brothers and Cousins from the same family frequently enlisted on the same date.
Additional Loftins/Loftons  from N.C. who Served in the Confederate Army
Name Enlistment Date Location Age Company & Regiment Died
Andrew Loftin 07 Jul 1862 Jones Co.   Co. A, 8th Calvary Reg.  
Bruel Loftin 01 Sep 1864 Transylvania Co.   Co. H, 7th Calvary Reg.  
Cornelius Loftin 08 Aug 1862 Davidson Co. 34 Co. B, 48th Infantry Reg.  
Cornelius Loftin       Co. D, 76th Infantry Reg.  
David, Loftin 05 Jul 1862 Caldwell Co. 29 Co. E, 58th Rangers Inf. 20 Sep 1863
Edmond Loftin 10 Oct 1861 Catawba Co. 40 Co. E, 32nd Infantry Reg.  
Eli Loftin 30 Jun 1862 Lenoir Co. 34 Co. K, 61st Infantry Reg. 29 Jul 1863
Gray Loftin       Co. G, 76th Infantry Reg.  
I. Loftin 27 Apr 1861 Wayne Co. 22 Co. E, 20th Infantry Reg.  
Isaac Loftin 20 Apr 1864 Brunswick Co.   Co. G, 3rd Light Artillery 30 Mar 1865
J. Lofton 16 Jul 1862 Davidson Co. 21 Co. D, 14th Infantry Reg. 17 Nov 1862
Jeremiah Loftin 01 Apr 1863 Davidson Co. 18 Co. F, 7th Infantry Reg.  
Jerry Loftin       Co. G, 66th Infantry Reg.  
Joel Loftin       Co. C, 78th Reg.  
John Loftin 25 Apr 1861 Iredell Co. 21 Co. A, 4th Infantry Reg. 31 May 1862
John Loftin 18 Oct 1864 Wayne Co. 35 Co. E, 20 Infantry Reg.  
Julius Loftin 10 Aug 1861 Davidson Co. 21 Co. F, 7th Infantry Reg.
Enlisted as Private and was promoted to Full 1st Sergeant on 15 Dec 1863
Kendrick Loftin       Co. D, 76th Infantry Reg.  
Langdon Loftin 25 Mar 1862 Lincoln Co. 36 Co. H, 52nd Infantry Reg.  
Langford Loftin 01 Nov 1864 Lincoln Co.   Co. B, 23rd Infantry Reg.  
Lindsey Loftin       Co. E, 1st Jr. Reserves Infantry  
Linsey Loftin 18 Mar 1862 Rowan Co. 36 Co. D, 42nd Infantry Reg.  
25 Mar 1862 Lincoln Co. 30 Co. H, 52nd Infantry Reg.
Enlisted as a Corporal and was promoted to Full Sergeant 15 Jul 1862
Martin Loftin 01 Oct 1864 Mecklenburg Co.   Co. E, 11th Infantry Reg. 12 Feb 1865
Samuel Loftin 26 Jun 1862 Lenoir Co. 20 Co. K, 61 Infantry Reg.
Enlisted as Sergeant & was reduced in ranks to Full Private on 01 Jan 1863
Shadrack Loftin 07 Oct 1861 Lenoir Co. 21 Co. E., 3rd Calvary Reg.
Enlisted as 3rd Lieutenant
Stemps Loftin 16 Aug 1864 Wake Co.   Co. C, 7th Infantry Reg.  
Stephen Loftin       Co. G, 76th Infantry Reg.  
Thomas Loftin 30 Jul 1862 Lenoir Co.   Co. A, 8th Calvary Reg.  
W. Loftin       Co. K, 44th Infantry Reg.  
W. Loftin       Co. C, 66th Infantry Reg.
Enlisted as a Musician
William Loftin 16 May 1861 Duplin Co.   Co. C, 2nd Infantry Reg.
enlisted as 3rd Lieutenant
28 Oct 1861
William Loftin 28 Jul 1862 Lenoir Co. 22 Co. B, 5th Calvary Reg.  
Wilborn Lofton 30 Mar 1863 Davidson Co.   Co. A, 10th Heavy Artillery Deserted
William Lofton 6 Sep 1862 Catawba Co. 19    

Edmond Loftin enlisted as a Private on 10 Oct 1861 in Company E, 32nd Regiment NC Troops.  Some records show his age of 40 but he was probably older.  He was discharged on 17 Jan 1862 for being "incapable to perform military duty from age".  Edmond was described as 6'0", tall with "dark complexion, dark eyes, dark hair".  He traveled by RR transportation back to Catawba Station, NC, on 18 Jan 1862.  Edmond was the son of James Loftin & Susannah Sherrill, and was an uncle to James Franklin Loftin.


All three sons of Eldridge Edward Loftin (1782 - 1842)  and Mary Sherrill served in the Civil War.  They were Langdon A. Loftin, Marcus Lafayette Loftin and Martin Loftin.


Langdon A. Loftin enlisted as a Private on 25 Mar 1862 in Company H, 52nd Regiment NC Troops. Langdon was born in Lincoln County where he resided as a farmer prior to enlisting at the age of 36.  He was discharged on 28 May 1862, presumably by reason of "being overage".  He later enlisted as a Private on 01 Nov 1864 in Company B, 23rd Regiment NC Troops.  This company, known as the "Hog Hill Guards" was raised in Lincoln County and started enlisting in Lincolnton on 23 May 1861.  It was then mustered into state service and assigned to this regiment as Company B.  Langdon was present or accounted for from November through December 31, 1864.


Marcus Lafayette Loftin was born in Lincoln County, NC, where he resided as a farmer prior to enlisting in Lincoln County at age 30 on 25 Mar 1862 in Company H, 52nd Regiment NC Troops. This company, known as the "Spring Hill Guards," was raised in Lincoln County and enlisted in Lincoln County on 25 Mar 1862.  It was mustered into state service at Camp Mangum, near Raleigh on 28 Apr 1862 and assigned to the 52nd Regiment, Company H.  Marcus Lafayette mustered in as Corporal, he was promoted to Sergeant in July-October 1862.  He was captured at Falling Waters, Maryland on 14 Jul 1863 and paroled at Point Lookout on 27 Apr 1864.  He was received at City Point, VA, on 30 Apr 1864 for exchange.  He returned to duty in July - August 1864.  He was captured again at Sutherland's Station, Virginia on 02 Apr 1865 and confined at Point Lookout on 04 Apr 1865.  Marcus Lafayette was released at Point Lookout on 28 Jun 1865 after taking the Oath of Allegiance.


Langdon and Marcus Lafayette's older brother Martin L. Loftin also served in the Confederate Army during the American Civil war. He was born about 1825 in Lincoln County, NC. Martin enlisted on 01 Oct 1864 in Mecklenburg County, NC, at the age of 39, and served as part of Co. E, 11th Infantry Reg. He died 12 Feb 1865 just three months before the end of the Civil War\ as a result of typhoid fever.


"The Lincoln County Loftins"
by Renee' Loftin Clemmer


Langdon, age 36, and Lafayette, age 30, enlisted together 25 Mar 1862.  They were both privates in the 52nd N.C. Reg. Co. H.  Langdon was discharged 28 May 1862; the exact reason is unknown but possibly it was his age, illness or wounds.  Later in the war, the Confederacy was desperate for men and he re-enlisted on 01 Nov 1864.  Langdon served in the 23rd N.C. Reg. Co. B for the remainder of the war.

Lafayette stayed with the 52nd and was promoted to Sergeant.  He was captured at Falling Waters, Maryland on 14 Jul 1863 and held prisoner at Point Lookout, Maryland.  He was exchanged in either July or August 1864 and returned to duty.  On 02 Apr 1865 he was captured at Suterland's Station, Virginia snd returned to Point Lookout where he remained until the end of the war.  He was released and pardoned 28 Jun 1865 after taking the Oath of Allegiance.

Martin did not enter the conflict until near the end of the war.  He enlisted with the 11th N.C. Reg. Co. E on 01 Oct 1864 at the age of 39.  He was captured near Petersburg, Virginia, on October 27, of the same year.  He was confined at Point Lookout, Maryland, where he died of typhoid fever on 12 Feb 1865.  Martin left behind a widow and eight children.




Additional information on Marcus Lafayette Loftin can be found in American Civil War Soldiers.


"American Civil War Soldiers"

    1) Marcus Lafayette Loftin was from Lincoln County, NC and was a farmer
  2) He enlisted as a Corporal on 25 Mar 1862 at the age of 30
  3) Enlisted in Company H, 52nd Infantry Regiment NC on 28 Apr 1862
  4) Promoted to Full Sergeant on 15 Jul 1862 (Estimated day of promotion)
  5) Was POW on 14 Jul 1863 at Falling Waters, MD
  6) Transferred on 14 Jul 1863 at Baltimore, MD
  7) Transferred on 16 Aug 1863 at Point Lookout, MD
  8) Paroled on 27 Apr 1864 at Point Lookout, MD
  9) Exchanged on 30 April 1864 at City Point, VA
10) Returned on 15 Jul 1864 (Estimated Day)
11) Was POW again on 02 Apr 1865 at Point Lookout, MD
12) Confined on 04 Apr 1865 at Point Lookout, MD for remainder of war
13) Took Oath of Allegiance on 28 Jun 1865 at Point Lookout, MD

I've only discovered one Loftin listed as serving with the Union Army, Willis Loftin.  Willis enlisted as a "Colored Cook" in 1863 and mustered out on 31 Aug 1865 at Richmond, VA.

Loftins/Loftons  from N.C. who Served in the Union Army
Name Enlistment Date Location Age Company & Regiment Served As
Willis Loftin 01 Jul 1863 Croatan, NC 30 Co. E. 98th Infantry Reg. Colored Cook
Confederate Camp for Civil War Reenactment at Murray's Mill in Catawba, NC
Photo Courtesy of Curtis Loftin
The McCorkles

(Right) David Newton McCorkle

1/2 First Cousin Once Removed of James Franklin Loftin


David Newton McCorkle (son of Francis Marion McCorkle, Jr. and Elizabeth Mariah Abernathy) enlisted in the 23rd NC Infantry, Company F, during the Civil War, and served as a Sergeant.  David died at Banner Hospital in Richmond, VA, on 09 Jan 1862 of Typhoid Fever.  His wife, Rhoda Smith, is reported to have traveled to Virginia to retrieve his body and bring him back to North Carolina.


Francis Marion McCorkle (son of Richard McCorkle & Agnes Sherrill) enlisted in the 23rd NC Regiment, Company F, and died of typhoid in Petersburg on 16 Jun 1862.  He was buried at Memorial Hill in Blandford Cemetery (Petersburg, VA) in a mass grave.


(Right) Matthew Locke McCorkle

1/2 First Cousin of James Franklin Loftin


Matthew Locke McCorkle was commissioned 06 Jun 1861, leading Company F, 23rd Regiment.  Accompanying this command to Virginia, he was on duty near Manassas Junction until the Spring of 1862, and then marched to reinforce McGruder on the peninsula.  After the evacuation of Yorktown, he participated in his first battle at Williamsburg.  At this time his health was completely wrecked and he was compelled to resign and return to his home.  During the latter part of the War he held the rank of Colonel commanding a Regiment of Senior reserves.  From 1864 to 1867 he represented the counties of Lincoln, Catawba and Gaston in the State Senate, and in 1875 was a member of the Constitutional convention which framed the construction under which we low live.

Lewis Washington McCorkle, b. 1838 (son of Thomas Jefferson McCorkle b. 1809; grandson of William Joel McCorkle b. 1782; great grandson of Thomas McCorkle b. 1747; great great grandson of Matthew "the Immigrant" McCorkle b. 1720), joined the Confederate Army sometime in the year 1861. Private J32, Regiment Mississippi. Lewis was captured at Corinth, Mississippi, and was sent to the prison camp at Camp Douglas, Chicago, Illinois, in Sep 1862. On 01 Nov 1862 there was an exchange of prisoners and after his release, Lewis returned home to Spring Valley (McCorkle Gap) in Colbert County, Alabana. Five years later he married Frances Jane Claunch, and lived in the Limerock community on the Underwood Road in Colbert County, Alabama, until the late 1880's. The place is now known as "Homer harris Place".

Richard Alexander McCorkle (son of Richard McCorkle & Agnes Sherrill) enlisted in the 52nd NC Regiment, Company H.  He was wounded at the Battle of Gettysburn on 03 Jul 1863.  He is buried at Macedonia Baptist Church between Denver and Lincolnton, NC, off of Hwy 150.


Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment
David Newton McCorkle     Company F, 23rd Regiment
Francis Marion McCorkle     Company F, 23rd Regiment
Matthew Locke McCorkle 06 Jun 1861 43 Company F, 23rd Regiment
Richard Alexander McCorkle     Company H, 53nd Regiment
Samuel Jack Gamble
(Wife of Frances G. McCorkle)
    3rd Alabama Infantry
[Died at Point Lookout]
The Millers
Levan M. Miller was the son of Jacob Miller and Elizabeth Fulbright.  He was the Grand Uncle of Martin Luther Goble and the brother of Mahala Catherine Miller Douglas.
Levan M. Miller enlisted in the Confederate Army on 22 Mar 1862 in Iredell County, NC.  His enlistment records indicate that he was 22, but he was more than likely about 25.  He served in Company E of the 49th Regiment Infantry.  Levan survived the Civil War and died 27 Apr 1920 in Ellendale, Alexander County, North Carolina.
Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment
Levan M. Miller 22 Mar 1862
Iredell County, NC
*22 Company E, 49th Regiment Infantry

The Setzers
Father & Uncles of Ida Lillian Setzer Loftin

James Franklin Loftin's grandson, Alonzo Lester Loftin, married Ida Lillian Setzer.  Ida's father, Patrick Sylvanus Setzer, and his brothers served in the Civil War.

Brothers and Cousins from the same family frequently enlisted on the same date.
Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment Died
Marcus Elkanah Setzer 04 Jul 1862 32 Company C, Regiment 57 21 Mar 1865
William Able Setzer 04 Jul 1862 26 Company C, Regiment 57  
Jacob Harvey Setzer 04 Jul 1862 25 Company C, Regiment 57 18 Mar 1865
Richmond, VA
John Wilburn Setzer 13 Mar 1862 21 Company K, 46th Regiment  
Patrick Sylvanus Setzer 04 Jul 1862 19 Company C, Regiment 57  
Henry Theodore Setzer 04 Jul 1862 16 Company C, Regiment 57  
Noah Monroe Setzer 27 Apr 1861 23 Company A, 12th Regiment  
Noah Monroe Setzer, age 22, seems to have been the first of Jacob Lanier Setzer's son's to enlist in the Confederate army.  Noah joined Company A, 12th Regiment on 27 Apr 1861.
Marcus Elkanah Setzer, age 32, enlisted 04 Jul 1862, as part of the 57th Regiment.  He was taken prisoner 07 Nov 1863 at Rappahannock Station.  He died on 21 Mar 1865 while at Point Lookout, MD, and is buried there.

(Left to Right)

William Able Setzer, Jacob Harvey Setzer, John Wilburn Setzer and Henry Theodore Setzer


William Able Setzer, age 26, enlisted 04 Jul 1862 as part of Company C, Regiment 57.  He was in five hard-fought battles, eventually being wounded; captured at Rappahannock Station and carried to Point Lookout where he was retained for sixteen months.  He died 22 Apr 1925.


Jacob Harvey Setzer, age 25, enlisted 04 Jul 1862 in Company E, 57th Regiment.  He was captured 07 Nov 1863 at Rappahannock Station, VA and died in a hospital at Point Lookout, a prisoner, meeting the fate of many a young man of Catawba County.  He died 18 Mar 1865, a few weeks before the end of the war on April 9, 1865.


John Wilburn Setzer, age 22, enlisted in Company K, 46th Regiment on 27 Mar 1862.  "He made good during his term of service.  He was wounded several times during the war.  After his return home, he tilled the soil, and is one of Catawba's good farmers."  He died 25 Nov 1907.


Henry Theodore Setzer, age 16 in 1862, was in Company C, 57th Regiments - more than likely the same time as several of his brothers on 04 July 1862.  Like his brothers, too, he was in five battles and was captured and held prisoner for sixteen months.  He returned home after the war and died 11 Jan 1922.


Patrick Sylvanus Setzer, age 19, enlisted 04 July 1862 along with his brothers Marcus Elkanah, William Able, Jacob Harvey and Henry Theodore Setzer and served in Company C, 57th Regiment.  Patrick was taken Prisoner of War at Rappahannock Station on 07 November 1863, at the age of 20, and was confined on 11 November 1863 at Point Lookout, MD, a prison camp for Confederate prisoners of war. 


Patrick's brothers Jacob Harvey, Marcus Elkanah, William Able and Henry Theodore were with him at Rappahannock Station - all being captured and going to Point Lookout, MD.

With 14-foot high walls on 40 acres of land, Point Lookout was the largest and worst of the Northern POW camps.  It was located on the penisula in Saint Mary's County, Maryland.  No barracks were ever built and Confederate soldiers were given tents to sleep in.  During its operation (1863 - 1865) the camp housed approximately 50,000 enlisted Confederate soldiers.  The prison camp usually had 12,000 to 20,000 men incarcerated there at a time, but the facility was constructed to hold only 10,000.  Camp conditions, especially overcrowding and freezing temperatures, contributed to the loss of many prisoner's lives. The camp water supply became polluted and food rations ran low.  Many prisoners died from starvation and disease.
The cemetery is know to hold 3,384 soldiers in a mass grave - including Marcus Elkanah Setzer.
According to W.A. Day in A True History of Company I, 49th Regiment NC Troops in the Great Civil War, (Newton, NC, 1893), concerning the release of Confederate prisoners from Point Lookout, "We were marched out through the big gate to a building on the outside.  Our height measured, the color of our eyes and hair taken, then placed one at a time under a large U. S. flag suspended by the four corners where we took the Oath of Allegiance.  After taking the Oath, we were sent into the Parole Camp without a guard, where we remained about two hours, then moved to the town".

After over a year as Prisoners of War at Point Lookout and in various hospitals, William Able Setzer, Noah Monroe Setzer, John Wilburn Setzer, Patrick Sylvanus Setzer and Henry Theodore Setzer returned home as the Civil War ended - having lost brothers Marcus Elkanah Setzer at the age of 34 and Jacob Harvey Setzer at the age of 26.

Brothers and Cousins from the same family frequently enlisted on the same date.
Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment Died
Albert Setzer 1861   Company F, 38th Regiment  
Calvin Setzer 13 Mar 1862   Company K, 46th Regiment  
Daniel A. Setzer 13 Mar 1862   Company K, 46th Regiment 13 Dec 1862
David Setzer 27 Apr 1861   Company A, 12th Regiment  
Franklin A. Setzer 13 Aug 1861   Company C, 28th Regiment  
Franklin D. Setzer 1863   Company D, 49th Regiment  
J. C. Setzer 04 Jul 1862   Company E, 57th Regiment  
W. S. Setzer 13 Mar 1862   Company K, 46th Regiment  
J. Sidney Setzer 14 Aug 1861   Company E, 32nd Regiment  
Jacob Setzer 27 Apr 1861   Company A, 12th Regiment  
James P. Setzer     49th Regiment  
John F. Setzer 06 Jun 1861   Company F, 23rd Regiment Suicide since
the war
Marcus Setzer 27 Apr 1861   Company A, 12th Regiment  
Marcus Setzer 31 Oct 1861   Company F, 38th Regiment;
Transferred 01 May 1862 to
Company A, 12th Regiment
Pinkney Setzer     Company I, 49th Regiment He was lost sight of
at Petersburg until near
the close of the war
R. C. Setzer 1864 17 Company K, 46th Regiment  
Reuben Setzer 04 Jul 1861   7th Regiment 14 Mar 1862
at Newbern
W. S. Setzer 13 Mar 1862   Company K, 46th Regiment wounded at

(Left to Right) Albert Setzer, Franklin Setzer, J. Sidney Setzer and R.C. Setzer


Albert Setzer served his country well for four years.  He was once wounded in the shoulder, the ball never being extracted.  When he enlisted in the service, an unseen voice told him he should not be killed in the service, but on entering the battle in which he was wounded, he swore an oath, and that voice came to him very audibly that he would be wounded but not killed. He surrendered at Appomattox.  He was an active mechanic in the upbuilding of Hickory after the war.


Franklin Setzer was born in that section of Lincoln which afterward formed into Catawba County.  He came of that sturdy Dutch (German) stock which, then as now, made up a large portion of its citizens. He voted against secession, the writer of this sketch having often heard him make mention of that fact. He joined the Army of the Confederacy as a Private in 1863, becoming a member of Company D, 49th Regiment, North Carolina Cavalry, and remained in the service till the close of the war.  His first service was in the mountains of western North Carolina and east Tennessee.  One of the most interesting reminiscences the writer ever heard him relate was one of the capture in east Tennessee mountains, of a Scouting party of which he was a member and which was commanded by General Robert Vance.  The scouting party had gone from Asheville to Sevierville, in Sevier County, Tennessee, where they captured a train of wagons and their drivers.  On their return trip, they were pursued and overtaken by Federal soldiers, who greatly outnumbered the scouting party. After a stubborn resistance of a few moments duration, it was seen that the only way to escape certain death or capture was in flight.  The "Yankeys" retook all the scouting party had captured the day before in men and booty, save one man, who with Franklin Setzer and six of his comrades escaped up the side of a steep, rugged mountain.  In addition, about forty members of the scouting party were taken prisoners, among which number was General Vance.  Immediately following this incident, he was ordered to Raleigh, and in the Spring of 1864 was sent into Virginia, and took part in the strife on the bloody battle fields about Richmond, Petersburg, Drury's Bluff and other memorable for the slaughter of thousands, and as marking the closing scenes of the war.  He was scrupulously honest, an uncompromising Baptist, and a life-long Democrat.  The old soldier now peacefully sleeps on the hilltop overlooking the acres for which he toiled.


J. Sidney Setzer enlisted on 14 Aug 1861 in Newton, NC.  His was the First N.C. Battalion; later Company E, 32nd Regiment.  He said, "I was not the bravest of the brave, though participated in every engagement my regiment engaged in until captured.  Beginning with a slight skirmish at Winston, NC, the battles of Gettysburg, Wilderness and Spotsylvania Court House being the most disastrous.  During the three days battle at Gettysburg, I witnessed about eight men in hand to hand struggle over a Federal flag, using butts of guns; one Confederate soldier only securing it.  Confronting Heights third day, in front of Battery, and small arms, I witnessed a number of our men torn asunder, threads of flesh thrown into low limbs of overhanging trees.  We were on the banks of a deep ravine at edge of woods, the front being a steep field, and our only refuge was falling into the ravine, crawl to the left to front cover of woods, when we charged and dislodged the enemy for a time.  At dusk, when both armies began to retreat, I was on skirmish between the two and was slightly wounded, but remained with the command.  Our retreat re-crossing swollen Rappahannock, struck us under arms, compelling us to cling in groups of fours to avoid washing down.  After hard battles of Wilderness to Spotsylvania Court House, half or more of our survivors were captured, including myself.  The loss of life was appalling.  Our captors nearly drunk, howled, 'no quarters.'  Interference of their officers saved us from massacre.  We were rushed through their six lines of battle over more dead than I ever witnessed elsewhere.  We were conveyed to Point Lookout, MD; later to Elmira, NC, suffering untold destitution at both places.  I was paroled 25 Feb 1865 and sent to Richmond, and from there home.  Was not exchanged, consequently was at home when the war ended.  The hardships, dangers, etc, of the four years were almost intolerable.  After returning home, I engaged in farming and school teaching in the common schools for a few years.  Having no means to begin with in the way of money or inheritance of property, I bought a small farm in Caldwell County on credit.  Was married and settled down where wife and I labored together on the little farm until it was paid for.  We then sold it and bought a better one and later sold it for a profit.  I then bought a farm and mill in partnership near Lenoir, NC and lost money.  Later was a salesman and manager in general merchandising store for nine years.  Made some money out of former dealings, but saved little from sales wages.  Then bought small interest in cotton mill at Granite Falls, NC, where I worked on salary and accumulated.  I then moved to South Carolina where I lost in a partnership nearly all.  Returned to Hickory and engaged in mercantile business; accumulated rapidly for a few years, then suffered a loss of $15,000 by fire.  My losses in all aggravated about $15, 00 or $20,000 by partnerships and fire.  A am now in my 70th year, am in comfortable circumstances.  Wife still living.  Five living children; all married and in fairly good circumstances.  Two children dead.  I am still in the mercantile business."


R. C. Setzer entered the service at the age of seventeen years, in Company K, 49th NC Regiment in the fall of 1864.  He said, "I found the Company at or near Petersburg, VA.  I was in several engagements, and on the 25th of March (the same day Lee made his raid at Petersburg) I was captured on the picket line with Mark Boyd, Mark & Lank Poovey, all being in a rifle pit.  We were taken to City Point; from there to Washington City; then to Point Lookout.  We remained there until the surrender and faired reasonably well.  On the 14th of May, we were sent to our homes, making our way as best we could.  We found destitution here.  No shoes or clothing; rations were scarce, but we were grateful that we were at home.  I took hold of the dilemma, and during the summer made enough of provisions for the next year; all I lacked was money.  Time passed; and finally I married and continued to acquire little by little, and today I am at ease, surrounded with plenty - a jolly, active citizen."


Civil War Reenactment at Murray's Mill Harvest Festival

Photo Courtesy of Curtis Loftin

The Sherrills

The LOFTIN and the JOHNSON families, both, connect to the SHERRILL Family.

(Left) Uriah Franklin Sherrill

Uriah Franklin Sherrill, son of Henderson & Mahala Long Sherrill, a brother to John A. Sherrill, James H. Sherrill, Walter L. Sherrill, and Beauregard Sherrill, was born 17 Jun 1835.  His father, a prominent farmer, had represented Catawba County in the legislature.  Franklin was a fine looking young man; he was a splendid school teacher as recorded by M. O. Sherrill.  When the "Cry of War" went through the land for volunteers, Uriah was among the first to respond; he joined the Catawba Rifles, the first Company organized in old Catawba in April 1861, before reaching his 27th year.  He was elected First Lieutenant and was with the Company at Norfolk, VA.  While at Norfolk he became sick and on the 3rd day of September 1861 he died.  He was the first confederate soldier from Catawba County who sacrificed his life on the alter of his country; peace to his ashes.  Had Uriah lived, he would have filled high positions in the army as he was a man of commanding appearance, and his men were devoted to him. 

Uriah Franklin Sherrill was a 1/2 2nd cousin to James Franklin Loftin.  James Franklin's paternal grandparents were James Loftin and Susannah Sherrill. Uriah was also 3rd cousin to Levina C. Sherrill (daughter of Alfred M. Sherrill and Elizabeth Moore, granddaughter of David Sherrill and Rachel Hamilton).
Uriah had three other brothers that enlisted at the same time that he did.  His older brother William B. Sherrill (born 14 Oct 1832) went to Texas during 1858.  He entered the service of his country early in the war and served during the entire period of the war with the army west of the Mississippi River.  After the war, he engaged in agriculture from which he acquired a comfortable fortune.  He died in Guadeloupe County, Texas in 1901 as esteemed and valued citizen.

(Right) John A. Sherrill

John A. Sherrill was a brother to William and Uriah Franklin Sherrill.  He enlisted in the first company organized in Catawba County in April 1861 at the age of 25 and the same time as his brother Uriah.  He was still with the company when General Lee surrendered his army on 09 Apr 1865.  During this time he was never in the hospital nor in prison, but was in active service all the time, except two months which he spent at home on a furlough, recovering from a wound.  John did duty at Norfolk during the first year of the war.  When Norfolk was evacuated, he was transferred to the army of Northern Virginia.  He was severely wounded at Hanover Junction in May 1862.  After recovering from this wound, he rejoined his regiment at Richmond and did service in Virginia for the remainder of the war.
John was also in the Maryland Campaign in 1862.  In the Spring of 1863, he was detailed as Courier to General Iverson and served in this capacity during the Gettysburg Campaign, and to the end of the war.
He did service in Early's campaign, in the valley of Virginia, in 1864, and returned with Early's command to the army of Northern Virginia in the fall of that year in time to take part in the engagement at Hatcher's Run.  During this engagement, he saddled his horse Sunday morning at sunrise and did not unsaddle him until Wednesday night.  During these four days and three nights, he was in his saddle more than half the time amid a constant downpour of sleet and rain. 
After the surrender, he returned to his native Catawba County and was proven an honored and useful citizen.  He served as County Commissioner from 1894 to 1896, and as County Treasurer from 1900 to 1904.  He was also appointed to fill out the unexpired term of Dr. W. E. Wilson on the County Board of Education.
(Left) James H. Sherrill

James Henderson Sherrill, the youngest brother of Uriah, William and John, also enlisted on 19 Mar 1862.  He was 17 years old at the time.  James was elected 2nd Sergeant and promoted to Orderly, which office he filled with honor to himself and his Company until he was elected 2nd Lieutenant, and then promoted to Captain of Company A of his Regiment, which office he filled until the close of the war.  He was a brave soldier, ever kind to his men and never shirking any duty imposed upon him.  It was with regret that Company I gave him up, as he was loved by them all.  It is recorded in the history of the 35th North Carolina Regiment that Captain Sherrill assisted by Captain Johnson, rushed forward and extricated General M. W. Ransom from a perilous situation when his horse had fallen on him at the battle of Five Forks.  He was at the surrender at Appomattox.  He was engaged in agriculture after the war and was as good a citizen as he was a soldier, ever ready to help those in distress, more ready to give than receive.

(Left) James Albert Sherrill
(Middle &Right) Miles Osborne Sherrill


James Albert Sherrill was the youngest child of Hiram and Sarah Sherrill.  James Albert was born in Catawba County on 29 Aug 1843.  During the Civil War, at the age of 17 he volunteered in Company A, 12th Reg., the same as his brother, Miles O. Sherrill, and his nephew, James Ferdinand Robinson.  They enlisted on 27 Apr 1861.  He was in every battle that his Company was in from Hanover Court House and seven day fighting below Richmond, VA, until the Battle of South Mountain in MD in Sept 1862, where he sacrificed his life.  Alfred Sigmon, a comrade also from Catawba County, said that when the command to fall back was given, James Albert was the last to leave the line of battle, and while firing a parting shot, was badly wounded.  "When the enemy advanced on the location, a "half-drunk" Union solder stood over Sherrill and bayoneted the poor (19 year old) fellow to death, showing no mercy to the brave boy, but manifested a brute in human form."  James Albert was counted as one of the bravest men in the Company.  His dust has been resting in South Mountain, MD, since Sept 1862.
Miles Osborne Sherrill was the next-to-youngest child of Hiram and Sarah Sherrill.  Miles Osborne was born on 26 Jul 1841 and enlisted as a 19-year-old in Company K, 2nd Regiment.  Company K, 2nd Reg. was reorganized in 1862 as the "Catawba Rifles" and became Company A, 12th Regiment.  In the Fall of 1861, while at Norfolk, VA, Miles Osborne Sherrill was appointed a first Lieutenant in another regiment, but declined to leave his company.  He was appointed orderly Sergeant, in 1862, which position he held until he lost his leg in May 1864.  Miles was with his command and in the battles beginning at Hanover Court House - and the seven days fighting below Richmond, VA, on up to and including Gettysburg, PA, to the time he lost his leg at the battle of Spotsylvania Court House, VA on May 1864.  the balance of the war was spent in prison.  His brother Albert and nephew Ferdinand Robinson never returned.  Miles Osborne married Sarah R. Bost on 01 May 1867.  She was the daughter of Captain Joseph M. Bost who was killed near Petersburg, VA in June 1864.  They had seven children.  Miles was elected Judge of Probate & Clerk of Superior Court of Catawba County in 1868 and served fourteen years.  In 1882  he was elected to the Legislature and was elected to the NC Senate in 1885 and again in 1893.  In 1899 he was elected State Librarian.
Gilbert M. Sherrill was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant 09 Jul 1861; promoted to Captain on the resignation of Wilson.  He made an efficient officer; stood by and for all his men all the time.  He was shot through his right breast on the retreat from the last raid the Southern army made into Maryland.  He lived five days and died in Winchester in the summer of 1864. 
Gilbert was the son of Theophilus Sherrill and Sarah Milligan.  He was a 1/2 2nd cousin to James Franklin Loftin and 3rd cousin to Levina C. Sherrill (Mrs. Pinkney C. Johnson).

  (Left) Nelson Monroe Sherrill
Brothers Nelson Monroe Sherrill, Christopher Sherrill, Henry Sherrill and Robert Sherrill enlisted 13 Mar 1862.  Henry died at Winchester in 1863. Christopher, Nelson Monroe and Robert survived the war. 
Brothers Alexander Sherrill, Gilbert Sherrill and Nicholas Sherrill enlisted 14 Aug 1861.  Nicholas was captured and died in prison on 29 Mar 1865 in Elmira, NY, from disease. Alexander died 07 Jul 1862 in Petersburg, VA, from disease.  Gilbert was promoted to Lieutenant and survived the war.
Thomas Sherrill, Sr., enlisted 27 April 1861; he survived the war and moved west.  Thomas Sherrill, Jr. enlisted 25 Feb 1863; he went to South Carolina or Georgia after the surrender.
W. P. Sherrill enlisted 27 Apr 1861; he was promoted Sergeant, but died in prison after the Gettysburg battle.

(Left) Jacob Sherrill,      (Center & Right) Marcus W. Sherrill


Jacob Sherrill enlisted in Company I, 49th Regiment on 01 Apr 1862.  Jacob was wounded at Sharpsburg on 17 Sep 1862 which disabled him for the rest of the war. 

He was born 27 Mar 1832, the son of Aram Sherrill and Susan Lineberger.  In 1855 he had married Miss Harriett Sherrill.  After her death he was married again to Miss Susan Robinson in 1887.  He was a good farmer and devoted his life to that calling.  He died 27 Jan 1911, leaving six daughters.  He was a good man  and was greatly missed in his community.  "For Me to live is Christ, but to die is Gain."
Jacob was a 3rd cousin to James Franklin Loftin, Uriah Franklin Sherrill, James Henderson Sherrill and Levina C. Sherrill (Mrs. Pinkney C. Johnson).
Marcus W. Sherrill enlisted in Company E, 32nd Regiment August 1861 and was at home on sick furlough at the time of the surrender.  He was married 12 Oct 1865 to Miss Mattie Cornelius.  He was a successful farmer after the war.
Brothers and Cousins from the same family frequently enlisted on the same date.
Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment Died
Adam Sherrill 19 Mar 1862 16 Company I, 49th Regiment  
Alexander Sherrill 14 Aug 1861 19 Company F, 32nd Regiment Disease
17 Jul 1862
Petersburg, VA
Christopher Sherrill 13 Mar 1862 29 Company K, 46th Regiment  
David Sherrill 19 Mar 1862 45 Company I, 49th Regiment  
Elam Sherrill 31 Mar 1863 40 Company K, 32nd Regiment  
Corp. Gabriel Sherrill (1) 25 Jun 1861
(2) 11 Feb 1863
17 (1) Company K, 1st Regiment
(2) Company K, 49th Regiment
Lt. Gilbert Sherrill 14 Aug 1861 24 Company E, 32nd Regiment  
Gilbert Sherrill 12 Sep 1861 21 Company E, 32nd Regiment  
Henry Sherrill 13 Mar 1862 20 Company K, 46th Regiment Winchester in 1863
Lt. Jacob Sherrill 19 Mar 1862 30 Company I, 49th Regiment  
Capt. James H. Sherrill 19 Mar 1862 17 Company I, 49th Regiment  
James Sherrill 27 Apr 1861 17 Company A, 12th Regiment 14 Sep 1862
South Mt, MD
James Sherrill 25 Mar 1862 18 Company G, 52nd Regiment  
1st Lt. Jeptha Sherrill 19 Mar 1862 33 Company I, 49th Regiment Disease
23 Jul 1862
Petersburg, VA
John Sherrill 15 Sep 1864   Company K, 49th Regiment Disease/POW
03 May 1865
Pt. Lookout, MD
Sgt. John Sherrill 27 Apr 1861 25 Company A, 12th Regiment  
Joseph Sherrill 06 Jun 1861   Company F, 23rd Regiment  
Leander Sherrill 23 May 1861 19 Company B, 23rd Regiment  
Marcus Sherrill 12 Sep 1861 22 Company E, 32nd Regiment  
Corp. Miles Sherrill 27 Apr 1861 19 Company A, 12th Regiment  
Moses Sherrill 13 Sep 1861 28 Company C, 33rd Regiment  
Nelson Monroe Sherrill (1) 26 April 1861
(2) 13 Mar 1862
19 (1) Company K, 1st Regiment
(2) Company F, 23rd Regiment
Nicholas Sherrill 14 Aug 1861 20 Company G, 23rd Regiment Disease/POW
29 Mar 1865
Elmira, NY
Robert Sherrill 13 Mar 1862 42 Company K, 46th Regiment  
Silas Sherrill 19 Mar 1862 24 Company I, 49th Regiment  
Thomas Sherrill, Sr. (2) 14 Sep 1861   (1) Company A, 12th Regiment
(2) Company F, 32nd Regiment
Thomas Sherrill, Jr. 25 Feb 1863 16 Company F, 32nd Regiment  
Thomas Sherrill 27 Apr 1861 18 Company A, 12th Regiment  
1st Lt. Uriah Sherrill 27 Apr 1861 27 Company A, 12th Regiment Disease/A-12
23 Jul 1861
Norfolk, VA
William Sherrill (1) 27 Apr 1861
(2) 14 Sep 1861
25 (1) Company A, 12th Regiment
(2) Company F, 32nd Regiment
2nd Lt. William Sherrill 04 Jul 1862 25 Company E, 57th Regiment  
The Witherspoons

Name Enlistment Date Age Company & Regiment Died
A. H. Witherspoon 13 Mar 1862   Company K, 46th Regiment 05 Oct 1862
Richmond, VA
Henry Witherspoon 14 Aug 1861   Company F, 32nd Regiment 24 Aug 1863
Joseph H. Witherspoon 04 Jul 1862 18 Company E, 57th Regiment  
M. C. Witherspoon 01 Jan 1864   Company C, 57th Regiment  
Manse Witherspoon     Iredell County Company Manassas

Joseph Witherspoon served as a Private in Company E, 57th Regiment, NC Troops.  Joseph was born in Catawba County on 01 Oct 1843. He resided in Catawba County where he enlisted at age 18 on 04 July 1862, for the war. He was reported present or accounted for through 31 Oct 1863. Joseph was captured at Rappahannock Station, Virginia, on 07 Nov 1863. He was confined at Point Lookout, Maryland, on 11 Nov 1863 and paroled at Point Lookout about 24 Dec 1863.  He was received at City Point, Virginia, on 28 Dec 1863 for exchange and returned to duty prior to 01 May 1864. He was sent to the hospital due to illness on 16 Jul 1864. Joseph returned to duty in September-October 1864 and was reported present through 28 Feb 1865. Joseph was captured again - this time at Fort Stedman, Virginia, on 25 Mar 1865 - and was confined at Point Lookout, Maryland for the second time on 28 Mar 1865. Joseph was released at Point Lookout on 22 Jun 1865 after taking the Oath of Allegiance.


Ulysses S. Grant

Ulysses S. Grant was the 18th President of the United States following his highly successful role as a war general in the second half of the Civil War.  He said:

"Hold fast to the Bible as the sheet anchor of your liberties.  Write its precepts in your hearts, and practice them in your lives.  To the influence of this book, are we indebted for all the progress made in true civilization, and to this we must look as our guide in the future.  Righteousness exalteth a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people."


Many of our ancestors had slaves prior to the Civil War, including the Loftins, Beattys, Fishers, McCorkles, Barringers, Sherrills and Witherspoons.  Check it out.



Military Pages


Check out all of these Family Genealogy Military Pages

to see which family members served - and where


Revolutionary War (1775 - 1783)

The Civil War  (12 Apr 1861 - 22 Jun 1865)
World War I (28 Jul 1914 - 11 Nov 1918)
World War II (01 Sep 1939 - 02 Sep 1945
Korean War  (25 Jun 1950 – 27 Jul 1953)

Vietnam War  (01 Nov 1955 - 30 Apr 1975)

Gulf War (17 Jan 1991 – 28 Feb 1991)

War on Terror (07 Oct 2011 - Present)

If you have photos or information to share about any of these Military pages, please contact me using the email address below or by calling 828-241-2233.





Hardtack has had many different names throughout the years but its importance has never changed.  It has actually been around since the time of Egyptian Pharaohs, but if you have heard of it, you probably know it better from the Civil War period.
During the war, squares of hardtack were shipped to both the Union and Confederate armies, making it a staple part of a soldier's rations.  Typically made 6 months beforehand, it was as hard as a rock when it actually got to the troops.  To soften it, they usually soaked it in water or coffee.  Not only would this soften it enough for eating, but any insect larvae in the bread would float to the top, allowing the soldiers to skim them out.
Soldiers and sailors the world over have used hardtack as a way to stave off hunger.  It was one of the main sources of food used when Christopher Columbus set sail and eventually landed in America.  Other names for hardtack include: pilot bread, ship's biscuit, shipbiscuit, sea biscuit, sea bread, dog biscuits, tooth dullers, sheet iron, worm castles and molar breakers.
Hardtack is simple.  It has three basic ingredients and takes roughly a half hour of cook time to prepare.  It's one of the most cost effective long term survival foods that you can make - it just isn't very carb friendly.
You can make hardtack almost identical to what troops, sailors and pioneers have been eating (minus the weevils) by following this simple recipe:

Hardtack and bullets

Photo Courtesy of Curtis Loftin



  4 - 5 cups of flour  
  2 cups of water  
  3 tsp. of salt  
  Mix the flour, water and salt together and make sure the mixture is fairly dry.  

Roll the flour mixture out to about 1/2 inch thickness, and shape it into a rectangle.  Cut it into 3x3 inch squares and poke holes in both sides.  Place on an un-greased cookie or baking sheet and cook for 30 minutes per side at 375 degrees.

  Let it dry and harden for a few days.  When it has roughly the consistency of a brick, it's fully cured - then simply store it in an airtight container or bucket.  Hardtack should keep for years as long as it is kept in an airtight container.  If it gets soft, toss it and make a new batch.  
  To prepare for eating, soak it in water or milk for about 15 minutes, and then fry in a buttered skillet.  You can eat it with cheese, soup or just plain with a dash of salt.  

Hardtack source:


Civil War Reenactment at Murray's Mill - Union Camp

Photo Courtesy of Curtis Loftin



Civil War Tunes


"Battle Cry For Freedom"

"Battle Hymn of the Republic"


"Garry Owen"

"Im A Good Ol' Rebel"

"Rally Round the Flag"

"Tramp, Tramp, Tramp"

"When Johnny Comes Marching Home"

"When This Cruel War Is Over"


Civil War Reenactment at Murray's Mill - Union Soldiers

Photo Courtesy of Curtis Loftin




The Catawba Soldier of the Civil War, by George W. Hahn, 1911, Clay Printing Co.


If you have additional information or early photos of the family during the Civil War period,
please contact me.